Thursday, February 23, 2006

So Sad







Sorry guys. No funnies today.
I had heard about the bombing of the mosque, The Golden Dome, in Iraq on the radio. I didn’t really think much about it. Nothing new there, right. Just another bombing sounded like no big deal, we hear about them so much. When I got home today I was hunting through the paper for the comics. On the front page of the comics section (not really sure why this was in the style section) were before and after pictures of the mosque. If I can figure out how, I’ll attach some to this entry. It made me want to cry. Oddly enough I didn’t. Even though I’m rather girlish and cry at movies all the time. The complete destruction of this holy site is breath taking. I know that so much has been written about Iraq and everybody has an opinion on the whole thing. The opinion that we don’t hear enough is how truly sad the situation there is. These people are brothers; these guys share practically the same faith. Yet, this is how they treat each other. One can understand the bombing of the soldiers. Though it’s a poorly thought out view, they may see them as occupiers. But to bomb your own countrymen, because of their faith…? If they can’t be led out from their current line of thinking then there is little chance for any real change. I think that’s where all the planning has failed. The planners and leaders viewed these people as westerners with western values of “tolerance”. I use quotes there because we haven’t gotten it right yet, though we tend to do a little better. I can’t help but think about the middle ages: The wars between the Catholic and the Protestant church, the Spanish inquisition, the Crusades… It all sounds like they are still stuck back in the middle ages, that they haven’t come out of them yet. Then I think about Ireland and the racism that exists here and realize that we the West haven’t gotten it so right either. I don’t want to go on much more. I mostly just wanted to say how sad it makes me to see what’s going on.

I’ll have to keep praying. I didn’t see much hope when Ariel Sharon was elected and he took the first real steps to change the status quo in decades. Some days it feels like praying is all I can do. Some days it feels like all that can be done is to pray.

No comments: