Thursday, February 08, 2007

Africa Ill!!

As many of you may have guessed I’m in THE GAMBIA now. I have to be honest it was really anticlimactic. It was a really tearful good bye to all my friends at church, work and my family. So I get on the plane to DC and things went well there. We bonded well as a group. There are 21 of us that all came over together. So we get all our shots together, get to the airport, get on the plane and about 20million hours later we are in Africa. No trumpets, no dropping of confetti or letting loose 1000 doves. Just walk off the plane and get on the bus to the terminal. We were met at the airport by lots of Peace Corps people who helped with our bags and got us all loaded into the van and off to our training site. It’s at a catholic retreat center that’s on the edge of town. The beach is 20 min. walk away. Coke is plentiful, though not nearly as good as it was in India. It’s like I’m on vacation still. Except for the 3 hours of language class a day. Then the rest of the day is filled with discussions about how to treat and prevent diarrhea and malaria. And then at meals we talk about our mefloquine induced dreams. That’s right, as a US government employee I get to take the malaria drug that makes you go crazy. So it’s actually been a bit of a let down so far.

Tomorrow, though, should change all that. The reason that we have been getting pounded with language is that we go to our training villages tomorrow. (I think they all have little wheels on them.) We travel into the bush to start living with our host families. This is where we will learn our language. I’m learning Pular, spoken by the Fula people. There are 2 other trainees going to this village so there will be 4 people total that speak English in our village, us and our language trainer. I’m actually rather excited about that. The part I’m not so excited about is the pit latrine. I’m not sure I’m down with the whole no running water thing. I guess I should have thought about that before I signed up. I’m sure that I’ll have some great pit latrine stories for you all though. I guess I’ll start to come up when people search for S#@$ smearing on google too, Tiffany! How exciting!! Anyhow, it will be 2 weeks without internet/electricity. So I will miss you all for 2 weeks. But when I get back, I’m sure I’ll have plenty of things that are making me bitter that I can rant about.

11 comments:

tiffany said...

good luck, pete!

i'll send good vibes your way every time i flush this week.

:)

Anonymous said...

Hey pete, I've been meaning to write you forever...on and off ever since Raxaul days and fairly frequently since I got your mail about going to Gambia.

I'm really sorry I didn't get in touch for so long or mail or post on your blog (which I've been reading on and off as well!) Can you please accept that apology and call it a clean slate now :)

Gambia sounds really exciting, and rather more primitive than Raxaul (did you do any village trips in Bihar...you might have experienced the pit latrine with no running water concept there too).

I'll be praying for you, that the Lord will continue to lead and guide you over there. Isn't it great he's promised to be with us to the ends of the earth!

I couldn't resist a comment on an earlier post of yours...you didn't like jal jeera?! You mean I never made you try the cool, refreshing taste of pani puri or gol guppe on a hot Indian summer day?! Boy, did you miss something...I think you need to come back to India just for that!

Kidding aside, it would be great to see you here again...do remember that in Africa, you're much closer to India than while you were in the US! Anyway, I'm back home in Chennai now, working with a newspaper here. Do mail sometime.

Priscilla

tiffany said...

hi, pete.
i just wanted to stop by and let you know i'm thinking of you...
the two weeks is almost over!
you probably speak a whole new language now!
and soon you will be able to use a real toilet!

can't wait to hear from you.

Joy said...

Pete...I miss you. I wanted you to know. Hope you are doing well in the land of the Gambia!

Dan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dan said...

Pete, good to know you're flying high over there. How much access to email do you have?
Pit latrines aren't that bad...even when buzzing insects are flying upward. Though I'm sure right about now you're fantasizing about resting on spongy-soft toilet seats!
Blessings on your new adventure!

tiffany said...

pete,
i'm sorry, but i've come to yell at you.
i nkow have proof from several sources that you have, in fact, have access to the internet.
at least for the last day.
you're going to have to write some kind of post, or else...
well.
i guess i can't threaten to come kick your butt.
but...
i'll...
make a mean face at my computer, when it's on your blog...
or...
something.

return to me pete!

seriously.

you act like saving the world is more important than blogging.

what's wrong with you?

(sorry, just miss you, and am rambling.)

tiffany said...

and also typing quite poorly.
move on...
nothing to see here.

James Ayrton said...

How's Africa compare to India?

tiffany said...

pete,
i know it's been a while...but if you get a chance to check your blog, i want you to know that I AM writing you back. i laughed my ass off about five hundred times at your letter...but it's been at least 6 years since i had to hand write something...
i keep messing up!
anyway,
i'm working on it.
it'll be there relatively soon, i promise.
xo,
tiffany

Anonymous said...

Pete,

Hope things are great in Gambia. I just checked your blog out and you haven't written in awhile. Want to hear more about life. I am sure you are busy. Life in Atlanta is good. Alexis and I are happy, got a house, job and health ins. really the american dream =)

Drop me a line when you have a chance.

Heather ><>