Thursday, June 09, 2005

One what?

Last week I went to this cool conference. It was put on by the One Campaign (www.one.org). Dave e-mails me, from Australia, saying I should go to it. It was great that he only gave me like one day’s notice for it. I had a little trouble finding the church but I’m really glad I went. They talked about their work to end global poverty. They are campaigning to have the G8 countries forgive the debt of African counties. The condition is that they have to spend the money on education and healthcare. It was really great to hear about how much they are doing.

The US ambassador to Madagascar was there also. I thought that it would be really great to hear her speak and that she would have something great to say. I was kind of wrong on that. By “kind of” I mean totally. She went on and on about the movie Madagascar and how we should go and see it but we should also know about the real Madagascar. But she didn’t tell us anything about the real Madagascar! She rambled on and on for soooo long. The rest of it was good. I didn’t really get the interpretive dances but it was nice. It’s a great group. Those of you that don’t know the group should check it out.

It’s sad to me that George Bush seems unwilling to follow Tony Blair in this plan. It would be really great to see him support this project. I know that not all the countries in Africa could accept this but it would be so great for even just a few to start with. We just have to pray that the leaders of the G8 countries and the African countries will make the right choices to help the poor and the hopeless.

No comments: