Monday, May 02, 2005

In The Fast Lane To Hell

Actually I just merged from the entrance ramp to the highway. I put ear tags on some mice and I took tail snips so that I could genotype them. When we used to talk about the animal trials going on at Pitt, we would talk about different ways to do an experiment. One way was just as good as the other it just meant that you would go straight to hell rather than taking the slower way. I should take this opportunity to point out that I’m not against animal trials. They are useful. They save lives, teaching us about how drug therapies and other procedures can help doctors. CPR was invented on dogs. My lab at Pitt was working on a solution to replace normal saline that would protect the organs better than saline does. Research isn’t always done in a good way, respectful of the animals that God created for us to rule over. But animal research done in a moral way is a good thing. I would just rather that someone else was doing it. Preferably far enough away so that the lightning blot won’t hit me.

Does anybody know why we don’t cast lots anymore? I’ve been wondering that for some time. Thing would just be so much easier if, when I had a decision to make, I just pull out the old sacred dice and toss them down the craps shoot. Where should I live? Should I take this job or wait for another one? Should I hop on a plane and visit Dave in Australia or Lori in India? I’m just saying. That’s one tradition that we should have kept from the Old Testament.

For those keeping track, the title for the April 28th post is from the Ice Tea song (Ain’t Nothin’ but a) Hoochie Mamma.

2 comments:

David said...

Animal testing, good old mice. The first line of testing. The mouse and the rat.

I think lots would make life a lot easier. One of my friends is into flipping coins to make decisions. Not too bad. When I do that I usually find out which way I wanted to go.

James Ayrton said...

Check out Acts 1:26. If it was good enough for the apostles...